ABOUT THE THEME
What are the boundaries that define and circumscribe science? What can we do to work across them? Read more about the symposium’s theme.
ACROSS BOUNDARIES IN SCIENCES
Read the summary of the scientific symposium held online and in Helsinki on 5 May 2021.
Prof. emerita, Aalto University
Head of the Cabinet to Mariya Gabriel, European Commission
Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Education and Culture of Finland
President of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences
Moderation: Dr Jaakko Kuosmanen
(10:00 – 11:30 EEST)
Opening: Prof. Anna Mauranen (The Council of Finnish Academies)
Welcome Address: Prof. Antonio Loprieno (ALLEA)
Keynote: Fostering convergence across disciplines, Academician of Science, Prof. Riitta Hari (Aalto University)
• Impact through increased interdisciplinarity, Prof. Kimmo Nuotio (Strategic Research Council at the Academy of Finland)
• Interdisciplinarity as a strategy, Dr. Mona Mannevuo (Young Academy Finland)
• The international dimension in interdisciplinary research, Prof. Marcel Jaspars (Royal Society of Edinburgh)
• Action-focused interdisciplinary research – its role in academia, Prof. Joyce Tait (Royal Society of Edinburgh)
(12:00 – 13:00 EEST)
• How can we achieve genuine interdisciplinarity?
• What is the connection between interdisciplinarity and impact?
• What does interdisciplinarity mean for younger researchers?
• Do interdisciplinary groups give better answers to tricky problems?
• Who can assess interdisciplinary research?
(14:15 – 15:30 EEST)
• Speech by Ms Adrienn Király, Head of Cabinet of European Commissioner Mariya Gabriel
• “Across Academic Boundaries in Science, Politics and Society”, Prof. Antonio Loprieno, ALLEA President
• “Reflections on Strengthening Ties Between Science and Politics”, Permanent Secretary Anita Lehikoinen, The Ministry of Education and Culture, Finland
(15:45 – 17:00 EEST)
• Prof. Dan Larhammar (President of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences)
• Dr. Erja Heikkinen (Ministry of Education and Culture of Finland)
• Prof. Jane Suiter (Director Institute for Future Media, Democracy and Society, Royal Irish Academy)
• Roman Adamczyk (Research Coordinator at EU DisinfoLab)