Scientific Symposium - 5 May 2021
The boundaries of science have been increasingly pushed and pulled during the Covid-19 pandemic, shaking our understanding of science not only within the scientific system, but in relation to politics and society in general. In this evolving scenario, ALLEA and the Council of Finnish Academies invite you to a virtual scientific symposium to reflect upon key questions:
- How can interdisciplinary research increase the impact of science in society?
- Are the boundaries between science and politics changing?
- Do we need to strengthen the boundaries of science to tackle science disinformation?
ABOUT THE THEME
What are the boundaries that define and circumscribe science? What can we do to work across them? Read more about the symposium’s theme.
(10:00 – 11:30 EEST)
Academician of Science, Prof. Riitta Hari (Aalto University)
(14:15 – 15:30 EEST)
• Video address from Commissioner Mariya Gabriel, European Commission
• Repositioning Science in Society, Prof. Antonio Loprieno, ALLEA President
• Speech by Minister Annika Saarikko, The Ministry of Education and Culture, Finland
(15:45 – 17:00 EEST)
• Prof. Dan Larhammar (Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences)
• Permanent Secretary Anita Lehikoinen (Ministry of Education and Culture of Finland)
• Prof. Jane Suiter (Institute for Future Media, Democracy and Society, Royal Irish Academy)
• Dr. Claire Wardle (First Draft News)
• Roman Adamczyk (EU DisinfoLab)